Wednesday 12 April 2017

Still Life Drawing



For this assignment we were to draw a one part of a "still life" this is the portion I chose. The process of this piece took about two weeks. I started with drawing 4 different sections of our still life then after adding value to one of them, I decided that this section was my favourite to draw and also the best one I could see. Once I was confident on the position of everything I procrastinated on ruining my beautiful piece of new white paper. once I gained the confidence to proceed I started lightly drawing in guidelines with my HB pencil. When I was happy with my lines I started defining them and drawing in little details. (like on the bunnies face or the little hole in the skull). When that was completed I took my HB pencil and started shading into the most visible dark areas. When that was done I went over it again just adding a slight bit of more pressure to my pencil. When I was happy with my shadows I went over the darker areas with my 2B pencil and then went over the darkest areas with my 6B pencil. once I was happy with how everything looked, I cleaned up the edges with my kneed-able eraser and then photographed it.

The composition I chose initially for this piece was an L shape but as I worked I had run into the problem that my composition had no longer looked like an L. To fix that I had defined the ruffles on the curtains beside the bunny. The reason I believe this is composed in an L shape is because the  curtains on the left draw your eyes from the top corner down to where the bunny sits, the bunny, followed by the skull and then the ledge draw your eyes to the right side making a full L. The L is kind of subtle but it  brings all of the components together.

No comments:

Post a Comment